Italian Chicken With Garden Spaghetti
A delicious chicken dish! My wife & I used fresh veggies from our own garden and added a few extras. We had a great time preparing this meal, our mouths watering as the amazing aroma filled the house.
2 1/2 hours
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons ground red pepper
20 basil leaves, finely chopped
fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
1 cup chopped white onion
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 (26 ounce) can hunt's spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
5 ounces tomato paste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 boneless chicken breasts
2 7/8 ounces French's French fried onions
grated parmesan cheese
12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
1. Saute garlic and onions in 2 Tbls. olive oil.
2. Add tomatoes, oregano, basil (reserving about 1 Tbls for later), red pepper, black pepper, sea salt.
3. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste and spaghetti sauce.
5. Continue to simmer over low heat for about an hour.
6. Crush fried onions.
7. Mix in 1/4 Celsius parmesan cheese.
8. In a separate bowl, beat egg then add remaining basil.
9. Dip chicken in egg mixture then coat in onion/cheese crumbs.
10. Bake chicken @ 400*F for 20 min, in 9"x13" glass dish lightly coated with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
11. Cook whole wheat pasta according to package directions.
12. To serve, lay a crisp chicken breast atop a bed of spaghetti and sauce.
Calories from Fat 242 (32%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 27.0g 41%
Saturated Fat 6.1g 30%
Monounsaturated Fat 13.7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5.1g
Trans Fat 0.2g
Cholesterol 145mg 48%
Sodium 987mg 41%
Potassium 1299mg 37%
Total Carbohydrate 82.8g 27%
Dietary Fiber 4.9g 19%
Protein 48.1g 96%